Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Tea and cake break by DT member Veerle Moreels

 Hi there, today it’s my turn again to show a step by step and the theme is baking. So I went brainstorming what I could make and I wanted to try out something to color a bigger piece of paper really easy and it worked so nice. Curious?

I wondered if it was possible to make a “spraypaint” using my Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolours. So I filled a little bottle with a bit of water to start with. Then I took the colour 139 Purple and made it wet using a brush. When the pigments were activated I swiped them up with my brush and I cleaned my brush in my little bottle with water. That way you color your water in your bottle. Depending on how dark or light you want your “spraypaint” you repeat this step again.
When I got the colour as intense as I wanted I sprayed directly onto my watercolour paper. This bottle gave me a fine mist but also some bigger splatters but that’s something I like. If you don’t want this choose a bottle that only gives a fine mist.  I wanted the white paper to show through so I didn’t spray a lot onto my paper but if you want your color to be darker, just spray different layers onto your paper.
I also made a blue “spraypaint” to color the back of my paper since I wanted two colors in my project. While my paper was drying I went on with the next step. I took a little piece of paper and mixed up a light brown by mixing some 46 brown with a bit of 20 Black. Using my flat waterbrush I colored this little piece of paper.
When it was dry I used a die to cut out a little bird. By mixing in a bit more of the black I got a darker brown that I used to give my bird more depth.
I repeated this process using the 51 may green and 53 mid green to be able to cut out some leaves.
My purple-blue paper had time to dry so I took this paper again and used it to make a teabag-cookie holder out of it.

This model has two pockets on the outside and one side was decorated with the leaves and little bird. 
Before putting everything together I did add some texture to my pockets. I used my Zig emboss marker to ink up part of my stamp so there was some texture but not too much. After stamping on my paper I covered it using white embossingpowder and heatsetted it.
This pocket at the back is used to hold a little card but you can put another teabag in it if you want to off course.
I used a leftover of the purple colored paper  to cut out a square as my backgroundpaper. Using a Zig art and graphic nr 34 I inked up a stamp with a text that fits this project. Just breath onto the inked up stamp to be sure you get a nice and crisp image since you are working with watercolor paper that has texture.
And since the theme this month is baking…I putted two cakes in the middle of my teabag-cookie holder.
Used materials:
Watercolor paper
Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors nr 51 – 53 – 62 – 139 – 20 – 46
Waterbrush
Zig Millenium
Zig emboss marker
Zig art and graphic nr 34
Mini misters