Thursday, 27 August 2015

BAKING by ColourYourDayHappy

Hi everyone! This is Glòria, the artist behind ColourYourDayHappy.

I want to share a piece I created inspired by the topic of BAKING. However I could not just paint any cake !!! It had to be a really colourful one so I went for a fruit cake. This was the only way the beautiful and bright colours in the Gansai Tambi Kuretake watercolour set would do their ‘magic’.

STAGE 1: PREPARE MATERIALS
·               Kuretake GansaiTambi;
20 black,30 cadmium red, 33 orange,  36 wine red, 38 dark violet, 42 bright yellow, 44 light brown, 46 brown, 47 dark brown, 53 mid green and 91 gold
·               A ruler, a pencil and an eraser
·               Watercolour paper
STAGE 2: SKETCH / DRAW THE CAKE
STAGE 3: PAINT THE CAKE
First of all paint the surface with clean water and then add the watercolour. This is how I got this lighter effect to the whole piece. As the pigments in the gansai tambi set are very rich, even if you use a lot of water the result will be really bright and colourful. 
Use a darker brown (number 46) and a lighter one (number 44) to paint the bottom of the cake.
STAGE 4: PAINT THE FRUIT
I started by painting the strawberries using colour 30 cadmiun red, followed by the bits of orange with 33 orange.
As with the cake, whenever I painted anything on this piece I first painted the area with clean water. This is why I could paint each one of the fruit using only 1 colour as with just the use of water I could get different shades and intensity of that colour.  I really like the final effect. You should definitely try it!
Next, I painted the kiwis with 53 mid green.
Because I wanted to add some purple to the composition I went for some blackberries painted with 38 deep violet and some redcurrants painted with 36 wine red. 

Finally I added some bits of lemon (painted with 42 bright yellow).
STAGE 5: PAINT THE CHOCOLATE
So that the colours of the fruit would pop up I decided to add some chocolate to the cake, I also use this ‘chocolate’ to cover any white space left between the fruit.  I used exclusively 47 dark brown.
STAGE 6: ADD A BORDER
To frame the cake I painted little squares to the right and at the bottom of the cake. I use some of the colours I had painted the fruit with.
From left to right and from bottom to top,  this is the sequence of colours I used: 53 mid green, 42 bright yellow, 33 orange, 30 cadmium red, 36 wine red, 38 dark violet and 47 dark brown.
Please notice that I left an empty square between each colour as I then painted that square with a mixture of two colours. So for example the square between the green and the yellow squares was painted using a mixture of those 2 colours.
STAGE 7: ADD DETAILS
It was time now to add some details to the fruit using gold (strawberries and redcurrants) and black (kiwi).
This is the final cake,
I hope you find this tutorial useful and inspiring.
BON APPETIT!