Monday, 27 July 2015

SUPERHEROES by Paula #ColourJuly #Superheroes

Hey there guys! It's me again! Today i'm showing you a little ol' tutorial based on the the theme of 

SUPERHEROES!

So here we go:
I used:

Kuretake Clean color pens.
Kuretake memory scroll and brush pens.
Kuretake ar and graphic twin pens.
Kuretake Wink of Luna pen.
A marker Pen.
A pencil
A biro
And a secret ingredient!

STEP ONE:
My first step was to brainstorm ideas, could I draw a nice portrait of batman? yes! Could I draw the backdrop to metropolis? sure! But I didn't want to, I decided to go a little more simple and punchy! So I chose LOGOS.
I Mapped out a few different superhero logos with my pencil, making sure to slightly overlap them but leave some gaps inbetween:
STEP TWO:
I used my Kuretake scroll and brush pen in black to draw around the outside of the symbols I had just pencilled in, altering any bits as I went along:

STEP THREE:
I used a mixture of all three different kinds of pens to add colour and depth to my superhero symbols:
Using three different shades of yellow:
ART AND GRAPHIC TWIN IN MID YELLOW
CLEAN COLOR IN BRIGHT YELLOW AND YELLOW

Three different shades of red:
SCROLL AND BRUSH IN PURE RED
ART AND GRAPHIC TWIN IN WINE RED
CLEAN COLOR IN CARMINE RED.

And one shade of Green:
SCROLL AND BRUSH IN PURE GREEN.

STEP THREE:
I used a biro pen, sketching and cross hatching in from the edges to create a rounded shadowed effect:

STEP FOUR:
I used a marker pen to fill in the negative space, leaving a small border around the symbols so it would stand out.
STEP FIVE:
I used my wink of luna pen in shade SILVER  to add in a few sparkly curves. Now, i haven't used this pen much before. It's a brush nib and you squeeze the ink slowly into the brush and use to your hearts content. This pen is FABULOUS It's highly pigmented, It's soft and easy to get a good curve sweep in with. 10 out of 10:
STEP SIX:
Now comes my secret weapon: Is it paint? no, is it charcoal? no!  it is in fact: EYESHADOW. I used a silver eyeshadow to add a gunmetal/steel effect in the background to almost age the picture.
Do you like it?
I hope so!
And always remember: 

YOU DONT NEED SUPERPOWERS TO BE A SUPERHERO!