Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Flower Girl meets Frida Kahlo by ColourYourDayHappy

Hi everyone! This is Glòria , the artist behind ColourYourDayHappy. 

I want to share a piece I created as part of the incredible fun but challenging ‘ColourJuly’ competition. This is a ‘new’ version of the ‘my favourite human’ piece. I chose Frida Kahlo as my topic as a woman I admire both personally and artistically. I can never get enough of HER , her life, her clothes, her style, her art, …
THIS IS THE STEP BY STEP PROCESS

1. PREPARE MATERIALS 
·               Kuretake Gansai Tambi;52 ocean green, 51  May green, 58 evergreen, 53 mid green, 57 turquoise green 64 blue, 63Persian blue, 50 pale aqua, 139 purple, 37 deep pink, 34 dark pink, 32 red, 33 orange, 40 lemon yellow, 42 bright yellow and 47 dark brown

·               A pencil and an eraser
·               Watercolour paper 

2. LOOK FOR INSPIRATION
All the inspiration came from Mexico.


From the talent one of her most relevant artist Frida Kahlo and the colours of the amazing Mexican fabric.  
3.CHOOSE COLOURS 
Working with the colour chips, select the colours to use for the project.
I wanted to use bright and intense colours so I went for the most vibrant Gansai Tambi colours. 
4. DRAW
As I wanted to keep the painting very free I decided to sketch the concept first. Keep the drawing fresh, free and minimal.
This way I would only need to draw the eyes, the eyebrows and the base lines of the face. 
5. PAINT FLOWERS
I decided to paint the biggest flower in the centre first as this one would determine what would happen to the rest of the flowers.
Paint the first petal . Let it dry
Paint the second petal . Let it dry
Paint the third petal . Let it dry
Add details. Flower is finished.
Repeat the process for the rest of the flowers. 
6. ADD FACE DETAILS
Use colour 47 dark brown for the eyes, the eyebrows and the mouth. 
7. PAINT LEAVES
Use the 4 different greens to compensate the shapes and colours of the flowers. 
8. FLOWER GIRL meets FRIDA KAHLO
At this point I can only say that it was really fun to paint this start summer design. 


I hope you find this ‘step by step’ tutorial useful and inspiring.
Until next time,

Glòria