Friday, 17 July 2015

#ColourJuly Day 17: A famous land mark! by Veerle Moreels

Hi, today it’s my turn again to show you a step by step. As the themes for this month are traveling and holidays I have chosen to make a card for the birthday of someone who loves to travel to Paris.
I used the stampset Cityscapes of Tim Holtz.
First step is to get the stamp inked up and stamp it onto watercolor paper. I chose to use my Zig art and graphic twin black marker since they have a really nice fine tip that made it possible to color everything except the Eifel tower. To color the Eifel tower I used the Zig Calligraphy golden marker.  The ink of the Zig Art and graphic marker stays wet for a longer time so I colored the black first. The ink of the Zig Calligraphy dries very fast. So it’s important to go over the tower twice  and breath on the colored stamp before you stamp it onto your paper.

The breathing part… you know when you were a little kid and you used to breath on the windows (your mother  just had cleaned) so you were able to write in it? That’s the kind of breathing we want onto our stamp. The moist in your breath will activate the inks so you can stamp.
When I had everything stamped I masked of a circle on top of the Eifel Tower. That part will stay white and create a moon for me.
To Color the sky I used another Zig art and graphic marker ( nr63). Instead of picking up the color using a regular brush and water I used the clear Zig wink of Stella. This way I end up with a nice soft twinkling sky.

Be aware that the stamped image will react with the Wink of Stella since it’s stamped using the Zig art and graphic marker! So be careful when you get close to the stamped image. But since the Wink of Stella has a very fine tip you can easily get in between all the details.
I always wet my paper before putting down the color to get it flowing easily. I stayed away from the edge when I got the paper wet, and used the flat waterbrush to do so. Even though my bristles are colored from a previous project they do not release that color anymore.

To color the ground I used the gray Zig art and graphic marker nr 74. I scribbled some color onto a clear piece of acrylic an picked it up with a regular brush and water.

If you have some areas  that didn’t get stamped down well enough, since there is some structure in the watercolor paper, you can always fix them using a Zig millennium marker. I used the 01 for this.
All I had to do now was get a sentiment on my card. No stamp this time, I decided to write one myself. I used the Zig millennium marker. First I wrote the sentiment using the nr 05 and I made some parts a bit bigger using the finer marker  01.
Just had to glue it down on a card base and I was ready.


Materials used
Zig art and graphic twin nrs 9 – 63 – 74
Zig Calligraphy metallic colours ~ gold
Zig Wink of Stella  ~ clear
Waterbrush
Zig Millenium 01 – 05