Thursday, 20 March 2014

Loving this little cherub... 

Newest design team member Estella Dee sent me this St. Patrick's Day inspired artwork. Hope you like it as much as I do.

Write up by Estella Dee...

I've been having a hard time coming up with a good subject to sketch for my March projects (inspiration has just not been on my side, in the past week or so), and I have to redo my sketches a couple of times, until my sketch pad was thiiiiiis thin.
Luckily enough, I have managed to sketch a subject that satisfied me. More importantly, I have my Kuretake graphic markers to lighten up my mood (I am still using my good ol' reliable KC-1100, I just love them. Lol).

In this sketch, I used several colours and techniques to achieve shadows and highlights in a manga art.
The first thing anyone should consider in rendering your manga art (or any cartoon) is a good "line art" or sketch. And this is where inking comes in, when a sketch is inked properly, everything will run smoothly. Inking is one of the things which I am not a fan of, but with an awesome ink, it's pretty fun. I have yet to try the ZIG Cartoonist Mangaka Felxible for inking, I have a feeling that they'd just be perfect for manga art.

When you already have a good sketch to work with, I would suggest to apply your light colors first; your yellows and flesh. So that even if you do go over the edges you could still cover it up with your darker colors. I normally start with my skin tones, for this sketch I used the KC-1100 #423 (Vanilla) as base and for the skin shadows the KC-1100 #200 (Pale Pink). After rendering the light areas, you can then work with your darker colors. In this case, my darker colors are #505 (May Green), #506 (Ocean Green), #553 (Emerald Green), for the uniform, #W.07 (Warm Gray 7) for the leggings, and #406 (Cadmium Orange) for the hair.

Applying shadows on the hair can be tricky, but always, remember the number one rule is shadowing: you must know where your light is, that way, you'd know where the shadows will fall. Another tip for creating great shadows is to know where your highlights should be. Highlights are important, because they provide more depth to your sketches. There are several ways you can add highlights to your sketches, one is by applying a lighter shade to the base color, or you could also use a blender, like what I did. When I add highlights to this sketch, I used the tip most part of the Board Tip for more perception.
Lastly, I guess, don't be afraid to shadow (or highlight) your manga art. I know it could be intimidating at times, but have fun with it. Don't think too much about it, commit mistakes, so that the next time you encounter shadowing it would be better. I promise.

Have fun with your markers. I did. Lol.