Monday, 22 April 2013

Sew amazing....

Good morning everyone, I hope you've had a lovely weekend. 

This post you are about to read will be enjoyed by anyone who enjoys sewing or actually for anyone that wants to do something a little different. I'm personally a big sewer myself and will definitely be having a go at making this. It would also be a super cute birthday present for someone. 

This idea has been created and drawn up by one of our American Design Team members, Jamie Pope. Here is what the lovely Jamie says:


I'm not much of a sewer.  In fact, me and sewing machines don't get along well at all.  But on occasion,  I do want to add a few stitches to a project.  Somehow, I have managed to collect a small amount of thread, bobbins, and straight pins and need a good way to keep them all organized.


So I decided to make my own storage container/pin cushion.  The best part of this project - it was made completely with items I had on hand.  So what do you need to re-create this project: a Mason jar and lid, white fabric, stuffing, stamps, and markers. That's it!



I started with a 6x6 inch piece of scrap fabric and randomly stamped flowers.




Next, I colored in the flowers.  I used the following ZIG® Fabricolor Twin markers:  Black, Yellow, Violet, Cobalt Blue, Green, Light Green, and Pink.  And because you know I can't complete a project without some sort of shimmer, I added a bit of sparkle using my Wink of Stella pens in Glitter Clear and Glitter Dark Pink




To set the ink and to get the wrinkles out of the fabric, I gave the fabric a quick run under an iron.  To create the pincushion itself, I took a small amount of cotton stuffing and hot glued it to the bottom of the inside lid of a Mason jar.  Then I simply wrapped the fabric over the stuffing and glued the fabric in place on the bottom of the lid.



How cute is this? Now I have the perfect place to stash not only my straight pins when I get the urge to sew something, but the jar itself now holds all my bobbins in one place.



Simple and functional.  What more could I ask for in a project?

Thank you Jamie, we love this! I can't wait to get started with mine :)

If you would like to buy the above fabric pens and glitter pens, then take a look at our UK shop site here.

Becki x