Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Crafting Around the World with Kuretake ZIG




Crafting in Canada, with Susan Weckesser!  


The ZIG Blog's being taken over by Canadian Crafter Susan Weckesser today! Susan brings so much energy and creativity to the ZIG Design Team, here's a bit more about her and her amazing work. Enjoy!





About me...

I'm the founder and owner of Susan K.Weckesser Inc (which was Susiebee Studios Inc)  I've been teaching, selling crafts and painting for twenty-six years! I attended the University of Alberta where I studied Fine Arts, Languages, and Education. After adoring my second teenage job working at Lewis Craft, I fell in love with every craft that I came across. At the age of sixteen, I found myself learning how to tole paint, knit, paper tole and many other numerous crafts and then making projects and teaching classes in the stores to patrons of all ages.


 I had always loved crafts but now I adored them. When I became a young mom I decided to make my love of crafting, painting, and by then scrapbooking into a business, everything from crafts shows to online editing for online e-zines. Now, I combined my love of painting and my love of scrapbooking with my company, Susan K. Weckesser Inc., releasing my first scrapbooking paper line – Live in Color.



'Harvest' ~ sketch created with ZIG Memory Writers and ZIG Clean Color Real Brush


Creativity at home...

I currently live in Medicine Hat, Alberta with my husband of twenty-one years, Marcus and our four wonderful children; Christopher, Kurt, Ashley, & Jessica and two feline friends. I love to live life to the fullest and create my dreams each and every day. My father encouraged this every day, especially by getting me to take flying lessons to get ‘closer to nature’ & to see the world in a different way.  I have even been known to sky dive just to say that ‘I did it!’

Prairies in Alberta
Family time

I am lucky to be living in a country and area where ART is so ALIVE! For being a smaller city there are some wonderful art galleries and crafting groups. After being so honored to teach at The Great Canadian Scrapbook Carnival using some of Kuretake's wonderful products, I was so pleasantly surprised to find out that there were many local scrapbooking groups that met often!

To keep my Kuretake supplies in stock I  purchase them from wonderful store like Michael’s, and Scrapbooker’s Paradise  



My work...

I enjoy scrapbooking, card making, and paper crafts of any type, but because of my art background I do tend to lean toward mixed media at times. Or I even enjoy painting or doodling on my scrapbooking layouts or cards. That is why I have always enjoyed the ZIG Memory Writer. The colors really are wonderful, vibrant and long lasting for drawing, sketching, doodling, or enhancing any crafting or art project. However, since I was introduced to the ZIG Clean Color Real BrushI am in LOVE! I can achieve almost the same look as I can as when I am using my watercolours and the colour is so brilliant and easy to use!


Getting creative with ZIG Clean Color Real Brush





The Tag I taught at The Great Canadian Scrapbook Carnival (ZIG Memory Writers & 2 way glue)


My favourite project that I did lately was a simple altered page using some awesome ZIG Memory Writers. What can I say…I love to doodle!





However, the gown that I made for the Summer CHA really was fun!!!



Susan with our MD, Mr Osaki at CHA Summer 2011








If I was going to give a single piece of advice to other artists, it would be simply to follow your DREAMS, work HARD, and NEVER GIVE UP!





Thanks Susan!

You can find out more about Susan and her work at the links below, and she'll be back next week with a tutorial!
                                                                                                                 
• 
http://www.susankweckesser.com/